2023 Ex.C.E.L. Award Application
In conjunction with the Student Union Activities, the Student Involvement & Leadership Center, and the Student Alumni Network, the Homecoming Steering Committee will select and honor two KU students with the annual Ex.C.E.L. Award for Excellence Community, Education, and Leadership.
These two students will be chosen based on their capacity for leadership, effective communication skills, involvement in the KU community, academic scholarship, and their ability to interact and work with a wide variety of students and organizations. The selected recipients of the Ex.C.E.L. Award will also each receive a cash gift and an award plaque from the KU Alumni Association.
All applications will be screened, and finalists will be selected to interview with the Ex.C.E.L. Award Selection Committee, comprised of students, faculty, staff, and administrators from various University departments. The Ex.C.E.L. Award finalists are presented and recognized during Homecoming Week.
The 2023 Ex.C.E.L. Award is presented by:
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Applicants must be enrolled as full-time University of Kansas undergraduate students during the 2023-2024 academic year and have a minimum of 60 total credit hours.
- Applicants must have maintained a cumulative GPA equal to or greater than a 3.0.
- Applicants must submit an application, supply one reference letter and their contact information, a personal statement, and a résumé or CV.
- The reference letter must be from a KU faculty, staff, administrator, or representative of a community service agency.
- Past Ex.C.E.L. winners are not eligible to apply for the award.
- Winners are awarded a $250 stipend, an award plaque, and recognition at the Football game and throughout Homecoming week at various events.
Students interested in applying for the award must submit:
- Online application
- Personal Statement discussing your qualifications for this award based on your KU experiences.
- Reference letter and contact information for one reference
- Online application opens: September 11 at 8 a.m.
- Online application closes: Oct. 6 at 5 p.m.
- Upon notification that a candidate is a finalist, virtual interviews will take place Oct. 12-13.
- Finalist notifications: October 17 by 5 p.m.
- Finalist will be asked to attend the following events:
- Homecoming Kick-Off | Oct. 23 | 5:30-7 p.m., Jayhawk Welcome Center
- Homecoming Awards Banquet | Oct. 24 | 6-7:30 p.m., Jayhawk Welcome Center, The Pub & Bruckmiller
- Football Game: KU vs. Oklahoma | Oct. 28 | Time-TBD, David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium
The application deadline is Sept. 12 at 11:59 p.m. For your application to be considered, please fill out the form below. Upon notification that a candidate is a finalist, interviews will take place Sept. 12-16. Finalists will be required to participate in a 20-minute interview during this time. Contact Paige Freeman at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions.
Please complete the application below and upload the required materials.