Passage through the Panama Canal and Costa Rica
Jan. 30-Feb. 7, 2022
Travel provider: Gohagan & Company
Join us for this incomparable nine-day journey from the Costa Rican rainforest through the mighty locks of the Panama Canal—an experience unmatched for sheer drama and engineering prowess.
Spend one night in a deluxe hotel in San José, Costa Rica, then cruise for seven nights from Puerto Caldera to Colón, Panama, aboard the exclusively chartered, Five-Star Le Champlain, featuring just 92 Suites and Staterooms and the world’s first multisensory, underwater Observation Lounge.
Experience a daylight passage through the awe-inspiring Panama Canal and explore the wonders of Costa Rica’s Manuel Antonio National Park and Curú National Wildlife Refuge. Enjoy a walking tour of the spectacular botanic gardens of Casa Orquídeas. Call at seldom-visited Cébaco Island and discover the rich marine life in its vivid rock reefs.
Tour Panama City, including its Casco Antiguo (Old Quarter), a UNESCO World Heritage site. Enjoy lectures by exclusive onboard study leaders throughout the itinerary. Extend your stay with the Landscapes of Costa Pre-Program and Panama’s Renaissance Post-Program Options.
- Introducing the extraordinary Blue Eye, the world’s first multisensory, underwater Observation Lounge.
- Exclusively chartered cruise aboard the Five‑Star expedition ship Le Champlain.
- Only 92 Suites and Staterooms—each with a private balcony.
- Once-in-a-lifetime daytime passage through the Panama Canal.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages throughout cruise.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi aboard the ship (conditions permitting).
- Comprehensive cruise/land program—islands, jungle, wildlife, culture and history—all excursions included.
- Access ports unavailable to larger vessels and an excursion included in each port.
- Onboard naturalist guides and specially arranged lectures.
- Visit Panama City’s Casco Antiguo, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Swimming and snorkeling opportunities in pristine waters offer extraordinary visibility and color.
- Landscapes of Costa Rica Pre‑Program and Panama’s Renaissance Post-Program Options.
In San José, Costa Rica:
- One night in the deluxe Costa Rica Marriott Hotel Hacienda Belén.
- American breakfast.
- Tour of San José, including visits to the National Theater and the Pre-Columbian Gold Museum, with lunch.
- Scenic transfer from San José to Puerto Caldera.
On Board the Exclusively Chartered, Five-Star Small Ship Le Champlain:
- Seven-night cruise from Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica, to Colón, Panama.
- Elegantly appointed, Five-Star Suite or Stateroom, each with a private balcony.
- Captain’s Welcome and Farewell Receptions.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages available throughout the cruise.
- All meals aboard ship.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi access (conditions permitting).
- Blue Eye—the world’s first luxury, multisensory, underwater Observation Lounge.
- Expert onboard naturalist guides to lead small group excursions.
- Guided tour through the Curú National Wildlife Refuge to look for a wide array of species in their natural habitat, including the scarlet macaw and spider monkey.
- Visit to picture-perfect Tortuga Island, known for palm-fringed beaches and lush, tropical flora.
- Excursion in stunning and biodiverse Manuel Antonio National Park, with a naturalist‑led trail walk through the protected rainforest.
- Walking tour of the spectacular botanic gardens of Casa Orquídeas.
- Visit to unspoiled Cébaco Island with time at leisure to swim and snorkel among colorful marine life.
- Tour of Panama City, including a visit to the UNESCO World Heritage site of Casco Antiguo, the Biodiversity Museum and the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute’s Punta Culebra Nature Center.
- Daylight passage through the Panama Canal, accompanied by a historical narration. Transit times through the canal are controlled by the Panama Canal Authority and are subject to traffic conditions.
- Scenic transfer from Colón to Panama City, including a visit to the Agua Clara Visitor Center (departure flight time permitting).
- Transfers and luggage handling abroad if your arrival(s)/departure(s) coincide with the scheduled group transfer(s).
- Experienced, English-speaking local guides for included excursions.
- Gratuities to hotel personnel, local guides and drivers on included excursions and transfers.
- Hospitality desk aboard ship and in the hotel.
- Complimentary bottled water in your Suite or Stateroom aboard ship and on excursions.
- Experienced Gohagan & Company Travel Directors at your service.
- Automatic $250,000 flight insurance policy for each participant ticketed on flights by Gohagan & Company.
Arrive in San José, Costa Rica
San José/Puerto Caldera
Curú National Wildlife Refuge/Tortuga Island
Quepos for Manuel Antonio National Park
Cébaco Island, Panama
Panama Canal Transit/Colón