Job posted 04/27/23 – Review of applications begins 05/01/23 and continues until position is filled.
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Occasional evening and weekend hours
Hybrid Work Schedule
AVP, Marketing and Content Strategy
The Content Specialist is responsible for creating and curating content for the KU Alumni Association’s (KUAA) social media channels. Additionally, this position supports other departments and projects requiring content assistance and promotion, such as the Engagement team and the Jayhawk Welcome Center. The position is part of the Marketing and Content Strategy team and reports to the AVP of the department.
- Develops content strategy for KUAA’s social media channels to effectively reach the desired target audience and marketing goals
- Produces high-quality, engaging, original social media content that is creative and unique in line with the latest trends.
- Promotes existing content from other resources, such as the alumni magazine and KU partners.
- Monitors KUAA partners’ news and social channels for content to amplify.
- Manages content and engages in KUAA’s social media communities, including evenings and weekends.
- Prepares analytics reports that communicate social media performance using key performance indicators.
- Plans, researches, edits, and creates content and strategies for assigned alumni e-newsletters, email, thought leadership articles, and other materials.
- Creates standard operating procedures related to content approval, posting, and other related processes as needed.
- Identifies problem areas and presents recommendations, solutions, and action plans to appropriate members of leadership.
- Manages assigned projects in a timely manner.
- Engages and networks confidently at all levels and across multiple, key campus partners that support KUAA’s brand and mission.
- Understands KUAA’s mission and how it relates to the educational, research, and service goals of the University.
- Works both individually and collaboratively, in a team environment that is hybrid.
- Contributes actively to team’s ideation and planning of marketing plans to increase public awareness of KUAA and to attract and to retain members.
- Demonstrates engagement in KUAA team meetings by sharing ideas and asking questions.
- Works with the department’s media producer on video projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, digital media, or related field.
- Three to five years of professional work experience.
- Exceptional written and oral communications.
- Meticulous attention to grammar, style, spelling, and editing.
- Experienced in both short-form and long-form writing.
- Skilled in digital content strategy.
- Experience using Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, and LinkedIn professionally.
- Ability to work well under deadlines in a changing environment and perform multiple tasks effectively and concurrently, as well as strong attention to detail.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite and other creative platforms, such as Canva.
- Experience with graphic design and web graphics.
- Valid driver’s license is required.
- Advertising, marketing, or public relations agency experience.
- Corporate communications or marketing experience.
- Editorial experience.
- Familiarity with WordPress.
- Familiarity with Anthology, Salesforce or other CRM systems.
Standards of Performance
- Strategic and analytical thinking.
- Problem-solving ability.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships both within and outside KUAA.
- Self-motivated, pursues opportunities for self-development, mastering new knowledge and skills.
- Seeks feedback.
- Committed to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
- Frequent: hearing, listening, talking (on phone, via computer and in person), reading (including computer screens, mail), sitting, standing, and walking.
- Often: repetitive hand motion (such as typing).
- Occasional: travel by car or plane to offsite meetings and events.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.
Equal Opportunity Statement
It is the policy and commitment of the KU Alumni Association to prohibit discrimination in employment practices, organizational activities and provision of services on the basis of race, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Above and beyond discrimination/harassment based on protected characteristics, the KU Alumni Association also strives to prevent subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (like bias and stereotyping). Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place here.
The KU Alumni Association is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please contact Dwight Parman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 785.864.4763.
To apply, email a letter of interest (cover letter sharing why this position is of interest to you and what skills you bring that make you an ideal candidate for this position), résumé, and names and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com (Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF formats only). Alternatively, the requested information can be sent to KU Alumni Association, Attn. Human Resources, 1266 Oread Ave., Lawrence, KS 66045.
Review of applications will begin May 1, 2023, and continue until the position is filled. Due to the sensitive nature of the position, a background check is required. Employment is contingent upon background and reference checks that KU Alumni Association finds to be acceptable. If you are called for an interview, you may be asked to complete our job application and bring it with you to the interview.
Alternatively, the requested information can be sent to KU Alumni Association, Attn. Human Resources, 1266 Oread Ave., Lawrence, KS 66045.