Facilities Service Associate
Job posted 11/29/22 – Review of applications begins 12/14/22 and continues until position is filled.
Facilities Service Associate
Flex scheduled Monday-Friday, 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
Frequent early morning, evening and weekend hours as needed for event support
$20.00 (minimum) – $23.00 per hour [final determination commensurate with experience]
Director of Facilities
The Facilities Service Associate is responsible for assisting with day-to-day operations and cleanliness of the Jayhawk Welcome Center at Adams Alumni Center to assure the highest level of customer service and facility appearance.
Facility Maintenance & General Building Operations
- Works closely with the Sr. Director of Programs & Hospitality Services, Director of Facilities, Assistant Director of Legacy Relations & Event Services and other staff to help manage facility and event operations and ensure facility’s safety, security, and physical appearance are maintained.
- Assist with daily building opening and closing
- Perform frequent walk-through’s of the facility to assure all office and event spaces are functioning properly and identifying any items that need repairs or maintenance
- Inspect and maintain building exterior and grounds and perform some landscape maintenance
- Ensures that facility restrooms, kitchens, and breakrooms are stocked and look presentable for visitors including spot cleaning as necessary
- Empty trash and recycling bins in common areas and in office spaces
- Troubleshoot and make minor repairs, replace AHU filters, and able to replace lights bulbs as required
- Keep mechanical and electrical rooms clean at all times
- Maintain custodial equipment, custodial supplies, and janitor closets
- Clean walls, window glass, doors, light fixtures, ledges etc. as needed
- Assist in receiving deliveries
- Assist in annual building inspections
- Able to direct student workers and coordinate with third-party cleaning service
Event & Hospitality Support
- Ensures a welcoming atmosphere for customers and guests and provides high quality services in a cheerful, timely manner.
- Provide support for on-site events as needed including (but not limited to) reunions, student events, and home football tailgates which could include night and weekends.
- Set up, tear down and maintain all meeting and event rooms to ensure cleanliness, proper banquet event set-ups for all events that take place in the facility
- Load, unload equipment and assist with back of house event needs
Audio Visual and General Support
- Learn and utilize content management system, the KU Alumni records database, audio visual equipment and event management software systems
- Installation, maintenance, troubleshooting and/or repair of A/V equipment and systems
- Assist guests and staff with any A/V needs or set up
- Assist with recommendations and budget projections with A/V equipment and janitorial equipment
Education, Training, Experience
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree – Preferred
- A minimum of 1-3 years of related work experience – Preferred
- Valid driver’s license – Required
Standards of Performance
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent project management and organizational skills.
- Demonstrable knowledge of and competency in a variety of computer software applications in word processing, spreadsheets, database and presentation software (MS Word, Outlook, Access, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate and work effectively with team members from all departments, as well as externally with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to maintain a high level of professionalism, discretion and confidentiality.
Physical Demands and Work Enviroment
- Frequent: sitting, hearing, listening, talking (on phone, in person), reading (including computers screens, mail)
- Often: repetitive hand motion (such as typing or picking), walking; work outside normal business hours including mornings, nights and weekends as required by event schedules; ability to reach, grasp, hold, lift, and place moderately heavy loads (up to 50 lbs.) using available resources; and exposure to noise and temperature variances at both indoor and outdoor events
- Occasional: travel to offsite meetings or events, perform work above normal heights or in confined spaces
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.
Equal Opportunity Statement
It is the policy and commitment of the KU Alumni Association to prohibit discrimination in employment practices, organizational activities and provision of services on the basis of race, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Above and beyond discrimination/harassment based on protected characteristics, the KU Alumni Association also strives to prevent subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (like bias and stereotyping). Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place here.
The KU Alumni Association is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please contact Dwight Parman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 785.864.4763.
To apply, email a letter of interest (cover letter sharing why this position is of interest to you and what skills you bring that make you an ideal candidate for this position), résumé, and names and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com (Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF formats only). Alternatively, the requested information can be sent to KU Alumni Association, Attn. Human Resources, 1266 Oread Ave., Lawrence, KS 66045.
Review of applications will begin December 5, 2022, and continue until the position is filled. Due to the sensitive nature of the position, a background check is required. Employment is contingent upon background and reference checks that KU Alumni Association finds to be acceptable. If you are called for an interview, you may be asked to complete our job application and bring it with you to the interview.