Graduate Assistant: Digital Strategy & Communications
The Graduate Assistant will support the digital/strategic communications team and work closely with the senior vice president for strategic communication, directors of digital strategy and assistant director of digital strategy.
The graduate assistant must be able to work in all forms of digital media and write in a variety of styles with high editorial standards for accuracy and creativity. The graduate assistant will complete training and meet regularly, either virtually or in-person, with supervisor and other staff. Ideal candidate will be able to work 10-15 hours per week.
Director of Digital Strategy
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains a thorough understanding of the Alumni Association’s mission and its various programs, along with the audiences these programs serve
- Assists with email marketing campaigns to alumni, students and other constituent groups and helps maintain email marketing calendar
- Collaborates with digital and communications staff to generate and update content in a timely and effective manner
- Assists with website updates and content creation
- Helps manage digital projects and job requests through Trello
- Assists with social media including content creation, audience engagement and monitoring among social media sites, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube
- Writes and edits copy for communications involving Association programs, including membership, programs and alumni events
- Performs other duties as directed or required. These may include lifting heavy objects or other manual labor.
- Graduate student in journalism, marketing, communications or comparable discipline; newspaper, online or other publishing experience preferred, including experience in higher education or another non-profit setting
- Proficiency and/or ability to learn software programs required for online communications, including social media platforms, WordPress, Trello, SproutSocial, Canva, Anthology proprietary software, Adobe Creative Cloud, etc
- Superior written and spoken English, including excellent command of grammar and usage and Associated Press style; knowledge of communications and marketing principles
- Ability to independently initiate, organize and follow through with assignments and establish and maintain effective working relationships both within and outside the Association
- Professional appearance, maturity, cultural depth and breadth, discipline, creativity and integrity.
- Commitment to social justice, equity and inclusion.
- Willingness to work nights and weekends as required
- Knowledge of KU history and traditions
To apply, email a letter of interest (cover letter sharing why this position is of interest to you and what skills you bring that make you an ideal candidate for this position), résumé, and names and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com (Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF formats only).
Alternatively, the requested information can be sent to KU Alumni Association, Attn. Human Resources, 1266 Oread Ave., Lawrence, KS 66045. Review of applications will begin November 12, 2021, and continue until the position is filled. Due to the sensitive nature of the position, a background check is required. Employment is contingent upon background and reference checks that KU Alumni Association finds to be acceptable. If you are called for an interview, you may be asked to complete our job application and bring it with you to the interview.
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. Employment is contingent upon background and reference checks that KU Alumni Association finds to be acceptable.