Strategic Communications and Digital Media Intern
Strategic Communications & Digital Media Intern
Director of Digital Media or Senior Vice President for Strategic Communications
Part-time strategic communications internship position to assist with developing a content and communications strategy and calendar for the KU Alumni Association’s Student Alumni Network, the largest student organization on campus. Works closely with senior vice president for strategic communications, directors of digital media and assistant director of digital media. Also works closely with assistant director of student programs, who advises the Student Alumni Network. Must be able to work in all forms of digital media and write in a variety of styles with high editorial standards for accuracy and creativity
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains a thorough understanding of the Alumni Association’s and Student Alumni Network’s mission, and its various programs, along with the audiences these programs serve
- Researches similar student groups on KU’s campus and other campuses to determine best practices and strategies for communicating with students through social media, email and app
- Assists with development of content strategy for Student Alumni Network, including types of content, tone of voice, recommended social platforms and frequency of content
- Assists with creation of content calendar for SAN social platforms
- Assists with creation of social media posts and templates
- Assists with social listening by monitoring accounts, trends, tags and hashtags relevant to the strategy
- Assists with developing a social media analytics reporting plan for SAN channels
- Assists with SAN emails as needed
- Performs other duties as directed or required. These may include lifting heaving objects or other manual labor.
- Study in journalism, marketing, communications or comparable discipline; newspaper, online or other publishing experience preferred, including experience in higher education or another non-profit setting
- Proficiency and/or ability to learn software programs required for online communications, including social media platforms, WordPress, Trello, SproutSocial, Canva, Anthology proprietary software, Adobe Creative Cloud, etc.
- Superior written and spoken English, including excellent command of grammar and usage and Associated Press style; knowledge of communications and marketing principles
- Ability to independently initiate, organize and follow through with assignments and establish and maintain effective working relationships both within and outside the Association
- Professional appearance, maturity, cultural depth and breadth, discipline, creativity and integrity
- Commitment to diversity.
- Willingness to work nights and weekends as required
- Knowledge of KU history and traditions
To apply, email a letter of interest with résumé and names and contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org (Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF formats only).
Alternatively, the requested information can be sent to KU Alumni Association, Attn. Human Resources, 1266 Oread Ave., Lawrence, KS 66045.
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. Employment is contingent upon background and reference checks that KU Alumni Association finds to be acceptable.
If you are called for an interview, you will also be asked to complete our job application and bring it with you to the interview.