KU will host events in honor of Veterans Day
In honor of Veterans Day, the University of Kansas will host and participate in a variety of events Nov. 6-14. Events are open to the public, unless otherwise noted.
“This series of events is one of the many ways KU embraces our military-affiliated community,” said April Blackmon Strange, KU Military-Affiliated Student Center director. “We hope KU and community members will join us in one or more of these activities as we recognize and honor those who have served in the U.S. armed forces.”
- KU Salute to Service football game vs. K-State, time TBD, KU Memorial Stadium. As part of pre-game activities, local veterans and Gold Star family members are invited for a “Thank You” event hosted by the Lawrence Veterans Day Parade Association in cooperation with Kansas Athletics. Attendees will form up in the stadium’s south end zone with an honor cordon provided by KU ROTC cadets and midshipmen. For those with game tickets, meet outside gate 26; the group will enter the stadium together about 30 minutes prior to the game. For those without game tickets, there is no fee to attend the pre-game ceremony. A charter bus will be available at the Lied Center of Kansas about 90 minutes before kickoff and will return there following the pregame ceremony. To reserve a bus seat, or for more information, call the Lawrence Veterans Day Parade Association at 785-576-3765.
- Marine Corps birthday cake, 2-3 p.m., Wescoe Beach. KU Student Veterans of America will celebrate the Marine Corps birthday with free cake for all while supplies last.
- ROTC 24-hour vigil, beginning at 6 p.m. KU ROTC cadets and midshipmen will be posted in uniform at KU’s war memorial sites along Memorial Drive.
- Military-Affiliated and Non-Traditional Student Breakfast, 8:30-10:30 a.m., Forums, Burge Union. This free event, in partnership with the Student Involvement & Leadership Center as part of Non-Traditional Student Week, is open to all KU students and their families and will include a spotlight on campus services and resources. Students are welcome to come and go as they please.
- KU-Leavenworth will march in the Leavenworth Veterans Day parade, which begins 10:30 a.m. All KU students and their families are invited to participate and should meet at TownePlace Suites at 9 a.m. For more details, contact Beth Tucker, Leavenworth student and program coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 913-897-8596.
- Veterans Day wreath laying ceremony, 11 a.m., Campanile. Join the KU community for a traditional wreath-laying ceremony to recognize the sacrifices made by those who have served in the Armed Forces.
- Kansas Veterans Virtual Memory Wall Veterans Day open house, noon-4 p.m., Dole Institute of Politics. Join the Dole Institute for a public open house debut of the Kansas Veterans Virtual Memory Wall. Guests will have opportunities to interact with the virtual exhibit, submit new veteran profiles and enjoy reflective music while honoring Kansas veterans and their families.
- Ninth annual KU Vets Day 5K, 9 a.m., begins and ends at KU Memorial Stadium, commemorating the 30th anniversary of the end of Desert Storm. A virtual run option is available for anyone who is unable to make it to campus. The first 600 participants to register will receive a shirt and finisher’s medal. Pre-registration is encouraged; arrive by 8 a.m. for on-site registration. Volunteers are needed for the event as well and can sign up through the 5K website’s “volunteer” section.
Additionally, Kansas Volleyball will host a Salute to Service event Nov. 19, with details to be announced.