Show your pride with a Jayhawk ride
Why drive with Jayhawk style?
When you put the official KU license plate on your car, you help support the Jayhawk Career Network and academic excellence.
Help us enhance visibility for the university by creating rolling billboards across the state of Kansas!
There’s no better way to show your Crimson and Blue pride on the open road than by displaying a KU license plate on your car.
Who is eligible for a Jayhawk license plate?
Anyone is eligible for a KU license plate. You do not have to be a KU Alumni Association member or a graduate of KU in order to put a Jayhawk license plate on your car.
- Visit your county treasurer’s office. In addition to the $50 annual tax-deductible contribution to the KU Alumni Association, your normal state tag fees, vehicle taxes, and a one-time special plate issuance fee of $45.50 to create the plate is assessed. Kansas county treasurers (and DMV offices for Johnson County residents) are authorized to accept the $50 contribution when you pay your annual state tag fees and vehicle taxes.
- The treasurer’s office (or DMV for Johnson County residents) will issue a temporary tag to use until your permanent license plate is mailed.
How do I get one?
In Kansas, Jayhawk license plates are available to all alumni, family, friends and fans at your county treasurer’s office, or, for Johnson County residents, at the DMV. The KU license plate can be used on your passenger motor vehicle, motorcycle, recreation vehicle (RV), or non-commercial truck.
Renew your Kansas license plate
- You will receive your annual vehicle tag and tax statement from the State of Kansas.
- The vehicle tag and tax statement will include the $50 annual contribution required to maintain your KU license plate(s).
- You have the option of renewing your KU license plate(s) in person at your county treasurer’s office, by mail to your county treasurer, or online via the State’s website at www.kswebtags.org.
- Renewal can occur in a single transaction.